Ever since humans started walking the planet, they felt the desire to gather around a focal point to relax, negotiate and entertain each other – while sitting down. Today, these practical seating structures are still very popular, while the method of construction has become more user-friendly and building materials more varied and versatile.
The 4×4™ Step block, developed by Terraforce, a local concrete product licensor with manufacturing outlets all over the world, is one such versatile segmental seating block that lends itself perfectly to the installation of linear or curved seating. Most often the block is used with the standard L range retaining block to build up each step but can also be used as a standalone product to create seating arenas that are hard-wearing and attractive.
Download the full document here with typical cross sections and images: Guide To Seating Arenas.pdf
Installation of Terraforce 4×4 Step-Blocks for Seating Arrangements.
Below is a set of illustrations to assist with the installation of seating arenas with the 4×4 Step block, followed by some important notes for consideration:
Guidelines for the correct installation of Terraforce 4×4 Step-Blocks for Seating Arrangements.
Note! Local statutory requirements or site conditions may dictate variations of below recommendations.
- Excavate and trim to lines and grades as shown on plan or as directed. Alternatively bench to required inclination as shown on plan to allow for placement of cement stabilized backfill foundation to seating installation.
- Stockpile sandy backfill material as directed.
- Compact profiled slope as specified by engineer.
- Excavate at the toe of installation for casting of the foundation to engineer’s detail, with 20 MPa concrete.
- Set out and place first row of Terraforce blocks to lines, levels and radius as shown on plan. Fill blocks as specified with concrete or cement stabilised sand.
- Place cement stabilized (Min 3%) sand backfill and compact as instructed by the engineer. Repeatedly check levels, longitudinally and across.
- Install first row of Terraforce 4×4 step-blocks on a thin mortar bed. Install in groups of 4, filled with wet concrete to allow for insertion of 10/12mm reinforcing bars with overlapping lengths. Refer to engineer’s specification and plan.
- Place and compact cement stabilized backfill as before. Repeat progressively row by row as work progresses.
- Cut blocks to required angles for a neat match at corners or at sharp bends (see sample illustration and photos.)
- Place 50mm screed in matching colour (or paving stones) behind front row of 4×4 blocks of seating area as shown on plan. Note this step may be undertaken once all the block rows have been installed.
- Install lines of access stairs with 4×4 step-blocks as shown on plan and section.
- All visible in situ concrete for screeds, wedge fillers etc, to be in matching colour and with a neat, brushed, non-slip finish.
- Supply and install subsoil drainage system where and when specified by the engineer.
- Install new rainwater channel along top edge of installation as per plan.
- For best results all work should be executed by an experienced contractor. Consult terraforce.com for a list of recommended Terraforce contractors in various regions.
Cement slurry complete seating arrangements with matching colour for a uniform finish. Supply and fit railings, screen or wing walls, complementary paving, or landscaping, as shown on plan.
Make good in matching colour, any blocks that were chipped during transport and installation. Refer to Question 30 of the Question-and-Answer section.
Notes and details shown are selected from a variety of existing installations. Ultimately the designer and his supervising agent will make the final choice. For more information on the 4×4 Step block.